They’re the closest things to you, but sometimes your family can get overwhelming. Share with us!

You're never too old to tell Dad and Mom "I love you"

6 replies, 4 voices Last updated by Profile photo of Fredrick D. Williams Mba Fredrick D. Williams Mba 1 year, 9 months ago
  • Author
    Profile photo of Fredrick D. Williams Mba
    Fredrick D. Williams Mba
    Participant
    @fredrick.d.williams

The most awkward thing happen during my stay with Dad. He asked me to sleep next to him in bed!!!!!! At first I felt afraid….(well) because it’s just a weird request LOL. I mean I’m 37 and haven’t slept in the bed with a parent since the early 1980’s. I mean Mom asks all the time when I visit her, and I tell her HECK NO! But this request was different because Dad was lonely and transitioning to life with his wife of 24 years. She passed of cancer 7 days ago. Funny story; so I finally caved in to support Dad. I thought there had to be a reason for his request. I laid down next to him around 1 am, and became the parent and he the child. He needed me to lay next to him for comfort because he felt alone. I never knew that you could switch roles with parent during their time of need. His energy felt peaceful. I watched him talk and mumble in his sleep. I starred at him for a few minutes will he slept. He actually woke up and was startled at two eyes starring at him. He thought it was the GHOST of his wife.We laughed about that the next morning.  To see my Dad in so much pain is life changing. I slept next to him a total of five days to support and comfort him.  I left him a wonderful not to say that I loved him before I left. My Dads voice sounds much different over the phone. I think it was all worth it.  :yes:

Spread the love
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
  • #8684 Reply
    Profile photo of Bre
    Bre
    Participant
    @wp1436977311428

Sometimes when people are hurting all they want is the comfort of another person. Especially when someone loses a loved one, that partner they’ve had all those years feels like a missing piece. Night time especially gets really lonely.It makes me happy to hear that you supported him through these tough times.

I hope sleeping at night gets easier with your Dad. I’d suggest calling every once in a while to make sure he’s doing okay. Even just to say ‘hey’, it means the world to parents.

Good job Fred! You’re doing all the right things

Spread the love
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    • #8685 Reply
      Fredrick D. Williams Mba
      Participant
      @fredrick.d.williams

I think so too! Thanks Bre. I literally spent several days supporting him. Felt pretty amazing! I’m trying to figure out a good call frequency to contact him. I don’t want it to seem so manual. Thanks a bunch.

Spread the love
      •  
      •  
      •  
      •  
      •  
  • #8688 Reply
    Profile photo of Madeline-CM
    Madeline-CM
    Participant
    @madelinemm

Fred, your dedication to your dad during this difficult time for him is really inspiring. Honestly, sometimes when I am visiting home, my mom and I hang out in bed together to watch a movie and end up falling asleep. My dad died a long time ago, but we both still think about him a lot. Sharing time together seems like something he would want us to do. It’s nice to feel needed by your parents, and to know that your presence really make them feel better. In terms of communication, my mom and I text every couple of days, and we converse by phone once every week and a half or so. That keeps us connected without it being to intense. I wish you all the best Fred!

Spread the love
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    • #8757 Reply
      Fredrick D. Williams Mba
      Participant
      @fredrick.d.williams

It was daunting but I did it. Thank you so much. I’ve never been challenged with a task like this before. It’s life, but heavy.

Spread the love
      •  
      •  
      •  
      •  
      •  
  • #8697 Reply
    Profile photo of Julia
    Julia
    Participant
    @Juliayon

This was beautiful to read, Fred. Thanks for sharing :)

Spread the love
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    • #8756 Reply
      Fredrick D. Williams Mba
      Participant
      @fredrick.d.williams

Thanks! I really dig this site. I used it for entire straight week to share this story. Dad sounds great and is excepting the fact that his beloved wife of 24 years is no longer here. I really appreciate you all.

Spread the love
      •  
      •  
      •  
      •  
      •  
Reply To: You're never too old to tell Dad and Mom "I love you"

ERROR: Only register member can be part of this conversation .So Register Now Sign Up.

:bye: 
:good: 
:negative: 
:scratch: 
:wacko: 
:yahoo: 
B-) 
more...

Spread the love
  •  
  •  
  •